Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 17, 2012

Football: 'It was an incredible feeling' - Buttner delighted by first Manchester United goal

EPL - Manchester United vs Wigan Athletic,Alexander Buttner  
The Dutch full-back arrived at Old Trafford from Vitesse Arnhem this summer but had failed to feature in their opening three Premier League games.

However, with Patrice Evra an injury doubt, the 23-year-old was handed his first start for the Red Devils, and he revealed his nervousness before the game.




"Rene Meulensteen [Manchester United first team coach] told me on Friday that I would play and must do my thing. Just before the kick off Mr Ferguson told me to enjoy it and that I could do it," he told reporters.

"I entered the field with very heavy legs. The atmosphere was beautiful, but 80,000 people very close to the pitch also gave me some tension. I have never had something like that before."

The left-back made his first vital contribution by providing an assist for Mexican striker Javier Hernandez, a pass which he even believes may have found the net.

"I received the ball from Ryan Giggs and fired at goal. I think it also was a goal if Javier Hernandez didn't touch it," he added.

The former Netherlands Under-21 international went on to recall his strike and hailed the feeling of netting in front of the Old Trafford crowd.

"I got the ball, went past three defenders and fired hard on goal," he remembered.

"If it was a mistake by the goalkeeper? That doesn't matter. Out of nothing 80,000 people were cheering for me. It was an incredible feeling.

"After the match Mr Ferguson told me he was proud. I was honoured as man of the match and got a magnum bottle of champagne."

Buttner also claimed that compatriot Robin van Persie had foreseen his performance, adding: "Before the match Robin predicted my goal and assist."

No comments:

Post a Comment